CinemAmbiente Environmental Film Festival represents the first and most important international event on cinema and environment taking place in Italy. Since its debut in Turin in 1998, CinemAmbiente – Environmental Film Festival has presented outstanding environmental films in a year-round program of initiatives that promote cinema and green awareness.
Duration CinemAmbiente 2018: May 31 – June 5
Founded and directed by Gaetano Capizzi, the Festival has been jointly organized with the National Museum of Cinema – Maria Adriana Prolo Foundation since 2006. CinemAmbiente is a member of the Green Film Network, which unites major international environmental film festival. The CinemAmbiente program features over selected 100 films screened in the national and international competition categories, as well as in the special categories Panorama, Focus, Retrospectives, and Ecokids. Besides film presentations, the program includes debates, meetings with the authors, exhibitions, book presentations, theater and concerts, and events in and around Turin.
Projection on the Mole Antonelliana
Over the years, CinemAmbiente has gone from strength to strength, consolidating its position on the international film festival scene. CinemAmbiente is also the first zero-emission festival: its CO2 emissions are compensated and its products are recycled and Ecolabel and Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified. Coherent with its policies, the Festival complies with Agenda 21 by purchasing eco-sustainable materials.
Complementing CinemAmbiente’s commitment to environmental cinema in Italy are 2 ongoing educational projects:
- CinemAmbiente Tour is a project for the non-commercial distribution of films from the Festival the CinemAmbiente Association selects for screenings held around the country. The Association is now a major source for obtaining environmental films in Italy.
- CinemAmbiente TV – Films for Environmental Education is a one of its kind project that offers teachers and educators access to hundreds of environmental films arranged by topic and age group from an internet film database for viewing with their classes.
Gaetano Capizzi & Guillermo García López
Audience of children
Projection on the Mole Antonelliana
Running in the competitions are the best environmental documentaries made in the past two years. The films are judged by national and international juries composed of recognized figures in cinema, culture, and environmental activism.
- International documentary competition: This category includes international feature documentaries for two awards
- International one-hour documentary competition: This category includes international feature documentaries with a running time of 60 minutes or less.
- Italian documentary competition: This category includes Italian documentaries.
- International short film competition: This category includes international movies less than 30′
- “Ambiente e società” award offered by the Arcobaleno Cooperative: This award is given in recognition of a film that best presents green economy as an opportunity for employment and social inclusion.
- “Le Ghiande di CinemAmbiente” Award: An annual award has been established by the festival in recognition of a writer who has dedicated a life to learning and writing about the environment and nature.
a) Films completed after January 1, 2016.
b) Short and feature-length can be submitted
Submission deadline: 31st March, 2018.
Rules and Regulations can be found here & further information regarding submission here. For any other information see here.
Review CinemAmbiente 2017