|The goal of the Landscape Design Festival project “Green Yard” is to look at a city public space as a space of nature, beauty and design and to launch from September 15, 2020 a month-long design and plant installation.
Started in autumn 2019, the Landscape Design Festival [LDF] is dedicated to actualizing landscape design and environmental art, to strengthening the role of plants in shaping our urban environment, and to promoting interdisciplinary public art. This year the theme of the festival is community yards and gardens.
The part of the festival program “Green Yard” aims at rediscovering, recognizing and understanding landscape design, attracting public attention to improving public spaces, strengthening the relationship between architecture and natural environment, highlighting the beauty of greenery and its’ importance to our quality of life. We invite you to tell what is important to you in the yard of your apartment building? Can a private yard become a public space for neighbours? Can it be an open-air museum that attracts city guests? Or maybe an oasis for personal concentration and peace? Surprise us with interesting ideas. We look forward to your creative ideas and ambitious yard!
Students and professionals, designers and architects, individuals and teams are invited to take part in this competition. The winning creator or a team of creators will be invited to participate in the festival’s creative process and to create a final product – an environmental design installation in a public space of the city square, open for a whole month in autumn 2020.
The most important evaluation criteria for the “Green Yard” project:
● functional and aesthetic design;
● clarity of image presentation;
● suitable plant compositions;
● attention to the festival’s theme “Green community yards” [yard culture and their green environment];
● sustainable solutions [materials, secondary materials, maintenance systems];
● inclusive creative solutions that encourage the public to experience and understand the importance of nature;
● technical feasibility and detailed budget;
● ability to develop the idea and creative process together with the festival’s organizational team.
The urban space for your installation “Green Yard”:
● Studentų skveras [Students’ Square] [54°53’55.5″N 23°54’48.0″E]
Neighbourhood of the “Green Yard”: Vytautas Magnus University and Kaunas University of Technology [student representations], Valdas Adamkus Presidential Library-Museum, the Unity Square and the garden of Vytautas the Great War Museum, restaurant “Višta puode”.
● the 1st place – 300 EUR and project implementation costs
● the 2nd place – 200 EUR
● the 3rd place – 100 EUR
Honourable mention: 10 works [diploma + publication]
All mentioned works will be exhibited during the festival and published in the festival’s publication.
all project creators who have submitted their creative ideas to the LDF organizational team [by sending the required information below] with clearly indicated costs for implementing the project will be evaluated by an evaluation commission comprising representatives of the City Municipality, Kaunas 2022 and LDF. The implementation of the selected project will be funded by the LDF [artist’s fee and project implementation costs].
Terms and conditions:
● the deadline for submission is 14 June 2020 [inclusive];
● the winner will be announced on 22 June 2020;
● the final creative project [installation] in the town square will be open from 15 September to 15 October 2020;
● the winner will be awarded up to 3000 EUR [artist’s fee and project implementation costs];
● the LDF organizational team offers additional physical and material support for implementing the installation [respective plants, technical equipment, etc.]
● participation is free of charge;
● a participant may submit one project;
● individual participants and teams are eligible for participation;
● projects should be submitted via transfer service WeTransfer www.wetransfer.com to:
Papers for submission:
● one digital poster [installation and landscape draft, sections, size 800 x 550 mm, 300 dpi, RGB / JPG format, maximum file size 20 MB), entitled “namesurname_projectname” [e.g.: johngreen_greenyard.jpg];
● a description of the project [up to 500 words in Lithuanian or English, the idea, the budget, .doc format], entitled “namesurname_description” [e.g.: johngreen_description.doc];
● a description of the creator or the team [up to 500 words in Lithuanian or English, important links, contacts, other important information, .doc format], entitled “namesurname_creator” [e.g.: johngreen_creator.doc]
Ingrida Vainauskienė, +37069959349, email@example.com
Gediminas Banaitis-Skrandis, firstname.lastname@example.org
© Landscape Design Festival