We the Makers is a major new biennial Design Festival from the National Wool Museum in Geelong Australia that showcases the work of makers, designers and artists.
Geelong UNESCO City of Design and the National Wool Museum are calling for professional and emerging fashion designers to enter an entire look for the inaugural “We the makers” Designer Showcase.
Participants are asked to respond to the Festival’s 2020 theme: ‘Design for the Future: Sustainable and Ethical Textiles and Fashion’.
With major cash prizes and professional development opportunities up for grabs – now is the time to start thinking about what you are going to make!
Are you a professional or emerging fashion designer?
The Design Showcase will feature the work of 20 top professional and emerging fashion designers from across Australia and around the world – whose work responds to the We The Makers Festival’s theme: “Design for the Future: Sustainable and Ethical Textiles and Fashion”.
Each entrant is required to enter a “look” (head to toe) that responds to the festival theme – with the “Designer of the Year” set to win a $10,000 AUD cash prize.
Entries will be judged on their ability to design and redefine sustainable and ethical textiles.
All entries must be available to be showcased at the National Wool Museum for the entirety of the “We the Makers Design Festival” (15 May to 4 October 2020).
The top twenty entries will be selected and invited to take part in the Designer Showcase. No items will be for sale. Designers are responsible for transport of garments to and from the Museum. Using wool is not a requirement of entry.
All designers selected into the Designer Showcase go in the running to win major cash prizes and professional development opportunities.
How to enter
- Make. Make one “look” head to toe that responds to the festival theme.
- Document. Remember that we are all makers, so part of the entry must include a short video (up to 60 sec) and 3 high-res “work in progress” images.
- Enter. Complete the entry form and submit it online along with the requested supporting materials, including images, videos and descriptions.
- Wait. First round judging will take place to select the top twenty entries that will go in the running for cash prizes.
- Send. Upon hearing from the National Wool Museum send in your entry to the National Wool Museum.
- Celebrate. Come to the We the Makers launch on 14 May 2020 to see if you have become Designer of the Year.
Entries Close: 2 March 2020
First Round Judging on Online Entries: 9 March 2020
Top Twenty Entrants Notified: 16 March 2020
Final Date for Delivery of Items: 6 April 2020
Exhibition Opening & Awards: 14 May 2020
Exhibition Open: 15 May 2020
Exhibition Close: 4 October 2020
Futher Information on the cal are available at www.geelongsmartygrants.com